Monday, February 28, 2005

Ribby, We Have A Problem....

Argh...Did you hear a primal scream At approximately 6 a.m. Friday?

It was me.

After knitting several rows (armhole shaping) on Ribby's back I noticed there was an incongruity....

"Hmm...did I just run out of ribbing rows on this side? Huh. That's funny...don't I have more ribbing rows on the other side left? Huh. That's weird."

Out of complete denial, I decided I had forgotten to decrease on one side. Yeah...that was it. So, I continued on a bit. Hmmm. There is still something wrong here....

So, I carefully laid it out...smoothed it....hmmmmmmm. Then, I saw The Problem. I had two more ribbing rows on one side than the other. You will realize, that at this point, I am two full skeins into the back...almost 400 yards. Countless hours.......

True to form, I promptly picked it up and carted it back to my room where it was unceremoniously crammed into a bag. Rip out all that work? Try to go on with it obviously mucked up? It makes my head hurt to even think about it. Sorry, Marie....unless something drastic happens, you will not see my Ribby in three weeks!

You will, however, see my new socks!!! I am having FUN with two circ socks...the pattern is smartly written, just enough of a stitch pattern I have to pay attention but not so much I lose everything if I set it down...and the yarn! OMG...Over The Rainbow handpainted superwash sock yarn is awesome!

Lastly, wayyyy cool news for me: I'm moving!! We are currently housed in a 40-year-old singlewide pink (yes, pink) mobile home plagued by dry rot and mold. Due to "stuff" I thought I would be stuck there forever....but....The Universe has seen fit to offer me an opportunity in the form of a truly lovely, less than 3 year old home! I will be renting, not buying, but I tell you, I don't know if I could be happier even were I buying! I will have a big increase in rent, so I will be knitting strictly from stash for awhile...It won't be unmanageable..It just means I have to start being accountable and responsible...and...well, grown up I guess. My motivation is huge...this is the best thing to be offered to my little family in forever...and I am going for it! :)

The theme from The Jefferson's (I don't want to hear it if you are too young to know what this is...) has been playing in my head all morning...

"Movin' on up....to the top.... to a de-luxe apartment in the sky......"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the new house! I used to live in an old trailer too, and they are the pits.
Too bad about Ribby -- I'm the same way you are, I would just jam it in the closet too!
Good luck with the new place---when do you move?

Sahara said...

Thanks for the sympathy Marie...I don't know what I'm gonna do about Ribby...grump, grump...sigh.

Thanks for the good wishes Judy! If all goes well, I will move as early as April 15 up to as late as May 1, depending on how fast the landlords get into their new house. Gives me a bit of time to come up with rent and deposit, so I'm not arguing! The old trailer has been shelter...and I've been grateful for it...but it truly has been a pit to try and live in, emotionally as well as any other way you can think of.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the house, lady! How exciting! Worth the scrimping necessary, I'm sure....