Thursday, September 09, 2004

Warning, political content ahead....

If I haven’t mentioned it…I’m a recovering Republican as well as a recovering fundamentalist Christian. Now this doesn’t mean I *hate* Republicans or Christians. I just do not choose to embrace the Republican viewpoint and realized fundamental Christian extremism is…well….extreme. So here it is. If it offends you, well, I’m sorry for that but, you know, it is my blog after all….

I have to share this little gem with someone. Our local paper, The Bulletin, runs a weekly ‘Religion’ page. This week, there was a headline that caught my attention, something to the effect of "Christians Pray for GOP".

There was a quote from a woman in Georgia which said: "Well, Jesus isn’t here…so I’m voting for the next best thing", referring to George W. Bush.

Oh. My. God. Bush is the next best thing to Jesus? I have to tell you, this struck me as so funny, that I laughed till I thought I would wet myself.

Knitting content:
I didn't knit yesterday. I didn't knit Wednesday. This is a Sign. If I'm not knitting, I'm depressed. This isn't "feel sorry for me....I'm depressed....waaaaa." I have dealt (or not dealt) with depression all of my life. I'm not ready for **"Hairy Carrie", I'm just not up to par. I'm taking my Paxil...eating well...getting almost enough sleep. This, too, will pass.

**"Hairy Carrie" is from a book I just read, "Triads" by Poppy Brite and Christa Faust. It just makes me laugh...see, I can laugh at *something*! And I feel I should say, ahem, I doubt this book is for everyone. If you're queer you might enjoy it...it is an interesting blend of three story lines. It is also quite homoerotically explicit.

1 comment:

Sahara said...

Marie, I already knew (or guessed) you were both...and obviously I like you anyway! :)

I have an interesting mix of friends in my life...in fact, one of my oldest and dearest friends is a hyperconservative Rep and belongs to the Church of Christ, which is just about as conservative as you can get, believe me. She's been my friend for...wow, over 20 years...and I just love her exactly as she is.

I love your blog, your writing and your knitting. :) Nuff said?