Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The 8th Deadly Sin - Pride In One's Knitting Ability

My knitting took me down a notch last night...Not that I had any notion of being some kind of knit goddess or anything...I had just been congratulating myself on how well my knitting has been turning out...How nice it's been looking..Gee I've improved....

Deadly, I tell you, deadly.

I get home last night...Walk by the table where the mohair Branching Out has been resting, awaiting my return....And spy a needle on the floor. No big deal, eh? Then....I see the Other Needle...Empty...Also on the floor...And a few feet away...Branching Out...Off the needles (did I mention my oldest moved...and couldn't take her cat and it's FOUR kittens? Or that we have only found a home for one, leaving us with three kittens?) Now, this should not be a big deal, you know? There were only 31 stitches on at the time, surely I could just pick it up and go, eh? Of course, the row it was on had those pesky yo's AND s1k2tog-psso AND s2k1-p2sso...I got a bit of humbling getting it back on the needle I tell you...Then....I realized...I started at the wrong end and my yarn was now next to the knob. Duh. Felt sorta sheepish there, as well.

I put it down, thinking, I'm just gonna let this marinate awhile and go please my inner child and play with the Dale Stork! So, I get the yarn out. I get the Bathing Beauties pattern out. I dig around and find all 5 of my 3.5 dpns (no small feat, let me tell you). I read through the insert about cast on options. Decided to cast on for a soap sack, and hey, let's bolster our ego a bit by learning how to do a provisional cast on! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Not. The third time through, I said, Huh. Think I'd rather just do a plain old cast on. It's not that the instructions for the provisional cast on weren't written out plain and simple. It's not that I didn't "get" it. I just couldn't "do it." Picking up the stitches in the crochet chain just wasn't happening. I'd miss a stitch. It was too tight here....Too loose there. So I ripped it and did a plain old vanilla cast on. So...You have 36 stitches on 4 dpns. Now all you sock knitters think, "so? What's the problem?" I'd like to know what the problem was too...Because I couldn't knit that first row to save my life. I ended up with one stitch too many. One stitch too few. A DPN made a run for it and leapt out of the knitting, causing an umpteenth re-cast on.

After 40 some minutes of farting around and getting more and more irked...The Stork is now shoved in my project basket.

I went back to Branching Out and got through a few more pattern repeats. Loving this yarn...mmmmmm. Still, had to tink back 2 or 3 times...My knitting mojo was just not there last night. Let's hope it got a good night's rest and will be here in force today.

I finally had a little time to do an internet search on the yarn I am using for the Pismo Hat. It was gifted to me by my wonderful SP last year. It's Lana Grossa Merino 2000 superfein in 489 and 490, Denim and Jeans. This yarn is awesome....The hat is going to be really a nice fabric...If I ever finish the damn thing...

1 comment:

Bonne Marie said...

It must be in the water - I've been orbiting the same 10 rows of lace on a sweater I'm making. I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't just look fabulous as a little area rug UNDER the couch until Hell Freezes Over...

SOMEtimes the Muse she Mocks Us...

So glad to *get to know you* this year. May all your dreams come true in 2006!